Sunday

Swinging in Freedom

I love playing on swings (well, I use to). I love the feeling of being free. Having it in my own power to fly as high as I wanted to go. Sometimes, high enough to make the perfect leap with the perfect stuck landing. Sometimes, just high enough to lean back and stare at the sky, feeling the air flow past with all of the freedom rushing through me. And, slow enough that with very little movement, a few twists and a quick lurch, a controlled spin ensues with all of its anticipated excitement.



Playing on a swing does not hold the same experiences for me as it use to. Now I am thrilled with the joyful laughter it brings to my children. The constant call of "do-it-again". With a 1-2-3, anticipation builds as I finally run underneath them with one huge push. Away they go. One; with all of the strength and determination to go as high as her swing will take her. The other; in perfect trust that I will guide each swing just high enough to keep her safe and thrilled by the ride.


My children; their laughter is a constant reflection of my faith. Watching them swing reminds me of the Freedom I have been given through grace. I have such an amazing gift, one that allows me to live in flight. I am given the opportunity to fly higher and higher, make perfect landings or even take that freedom and bind it up so that I am spinning in circles. Regardless of what I choose to do with it, I am Free. His gift of life and freedom is waiting for a response from me.

Today, I am in a place of flight. I know I have more than I deserve. I will lay back in the height of my swing and breathe in His life as it flows past me. It is in the place of surrender that I know my God is amazing, His creation beautiful, and my Freedom is in Him alone.

I hope the next time that I am spinning in my own circles I will be reminded; God's freedom doesn't change. It is usually my need to take control that makes the movements in my faith small, causing me to get sick to my stomach.

Jason Upton: Freedom


No comments: