Thursday

I'll Come Runnin'


"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp, or are you going to be strong today?'" --Peter Maher,

I have never really considered myself a strong person. Physically; I am pretty strong, for a girl. Mentally; I am my own worst enemy. In record breaking time I could give myself a thousand reasons why running a marathon is a ridiculous notion. While I am reading some of the wonderful books that are preparing me for the run, I can feel the pressure push in on my chest. I can barely breathe when I think about running the entire 26.2 miles.

Four of my five training days I set the alarm clock for an insane hour, giving myself a few extra minutes to hit the snooze button at least once. In my 9 minute wait until I have to get out of bed, I try with all of my might to overcome the voices in my head. Can I do this? Will I make it? Deep down in me I have to know that I am worth this. It is not the hard work that is the problem, its convincing myself that I, Angie, can be and will be a marathon runner.

I have an amazing accountability partner, Sarah. She is the one that got this crazy idea in my head to begin with. We check in with each other every Monday with our progress and weigh-ins. I was fairly discouraged at the beginning of this week. I had one bad run last week where my legs were bricks and I had cut it short. My weigh-in went the wrong way on the scale, which just sucks. Sarah reminded me, today, of the hard work I am putting in. Thank you, Sarah. Thank you for lifting me up in my time of self doubt and weakness. I only hope I can be the same encouragement when you need me.

I needed the change in perspective. I needed to stop the overwhelming pressure of the forest and just focus on the trees. I need to focus one day at a time. I forgot that I had run 14 miles last week. Me, Angie, I ran 14 miles. GO ME!!

Today I was strong, tomorrow the alarm will go off and I will again decide to be strong.

A special song for all of the friends that keep me moving.


1 comment:

Kelly57 said...

14 miles!! Smokin'! Keep it up Angie!