Tuesday

8k equals 5 miles

We did it. We ran our very first race. Bluecross Autumnfest 8k in Knoxville. Well, we weren't racing really. Ted and I used the run as part of our marathon training. Part of training is also learning what to do with all those jittery nerves that show up during race day with other runners around us.


Instead of getting up at 5:30 am to put a turkey in the oven on Thanksgiving morning we got up to go running. We had to get up so early so we could "fuel" up and have it digested before the race. On the menu: 1 Banana, 2 pieces of wheat toast, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter and water. Lots and Lots of water.

It was about 30 degrees out when we got to the venue. Brrr. We went to the registration and picked up our chips (it is this little thing you put on your shoe that does the timing). We met these two really nice ladies that are both from the West Coast while we were patiently waiting. Whenever we saw them we would throw the W sign and yell West Coast, hehehe (runners are funny people).

The race started at 8:30am....it was so cool. Everyone crowded together. I think there were almost 900 runners. Have I mentioned that this is also the first time Ted and I had run a continuous 5 miles. Oh, yeah.... We did it in 54:56. Placing 751st and 752nd. Our pace was 11:02 a mile. Perfect. We were able to talk to each other through the whole five miles and really enjoyed the entire experience.

It was really amazing and I wasn't nearly as nervous about the whole thing as I thought I would be. I felt really prepared. There is also something to say about Ted's calming effect on me. Having him there, running next to me, makes this an even more wonderful experience.

No comments: