Tuesday

GO PACK GO!!


November 1st/November 2nd
2008

For anyone that has known me for any length of time it is common knowledge that I am a Green Bay Packer fan. Now, I am not one of those fly by night, when the team is good kind of fans. I know the players by name and I passionately watch the games with joy and disappointment. My blood pressure rises, my heart races and even the occasional obscenity will fly out of my mouth while watching a game. I cried at the disappointment of our playoff loss last year, at Brett Favre's retirement and when I found out he was going to play for the Jets.

Back in April when they posted the 08-09 NFL schedule, I jumped for joy with the prospect of being able to go to the Green Bay/Tennessee game and immediately asked my favorite Packer fan Brian to come out for a visit and join us for the game. Ted got the tickets for me as a gift for my birthday (Have I mentioned that my husband totally ROCKS!!).

As you can imagine the anticipation for my first Packers game has been building for 6 months. Oh, My, Gosh I couldn't believe I was really going to go.

The week of the game had finally arrived and it seemed like everything was going to be against us. My original hope for a sitter for the girls fell through. The guy we were getting tickets from decided to keep them for himself, apparently he was surprised the Titans were undefeated. So, we made the mad dash to find tickets, the week of the game, I really don't recommend doing this. Next, Brian missed his flight, seriously!! A lot of patience and a 3 hour wait and he made the next flight. We then had issues with kennelling our dog and the hotel. Seriously, it was getting a bit ridiculous. But, we are not people that give up easily. Luckily, Zack and Misty saved the day by keeping the girls for us. Jacque stepped in and helped with Buddy, thank God.

We finally made it to Nashville around 7 or so and then had to switch hotels because of "broken pipes" or what we call overbooking. Once we finally got settled; we took the not "free" shuttle back downtown and had a lot of fun. Full disclosure here: this is the first time in many, many years we have closed down a bar. Yep, we were out until 2:30 am. We had a great time. I think I hugged more strangers in those few hours than I have my entire life. Almost everyone was decked out in Packers gear and giving love to all who sport the Green and Yellow. I am officially a part of the real Packer family now. :~D









The game was beautiful. The stadium was open and the sun beat down on us all day. It took me almost to the half before I could take a full breath and realize I was really there, in that moment, watching my team play on the field. Even though I was in the nose bleeds, I know (in my heart) they could hear me. I will keep my criticism of Rodgers to a minimum. It was bigger then a win or loss for me. This is a moment that can not be repeated. My two favorite football fans beside me; the only two guys who understand my compulsion towards football.


My joy is overwhelming. Even now and for as long as my memory holds I will have a special place for this game. A moment in life that comes once. Thank you Brian for coming out and being a part of this experience with me. Love you!!

Next stop: Lambeau Field

No comments: